Easy Broiled Chinese Eggplant Recipe
- 2-3 medium eggplant
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh thai chili, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry cooking wine
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- Slice eggplants into 1”x4” wedges. Line a cooking sheet with paper towel and lay the eggplant in a single layer. Sprinkle with sea salt to draw out the moisture. Top with another layer of paper towel and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Make the marinade: Whisk together all remaining ingredients, except sesame seeds and some green onions for garnish. Beware of the heat coming from the thai chilis – adjust if desired.
- Heat oven to broil on high. Ensure eggplant is dry and coat with sunflower oil and 1 tablespoon of salt. Broil for about 5 minutes until soft and begins to brown. Remove from oven and toss with marinade.
- Garnish with remaining green onions and sesame seeds and serve hot.