Okra Curry (Bhindi Masala)
1 lb small tender Okra
¼ cup avocado oil – divided
1 large sweet onion – quartered, sliced thin
3 cloves garlic – minced
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
2 medium tomatoes – diced (do not use canned0
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander powder
½ Tbsp fresh grated turmeric root
¼ tsp red chili powder
1 Red Fresno Chili – seeded & chopped
2 Tbsp fresh chopped cilantro (garnish)
½ tsp fresh lemon juice (garnish)
Do not let okra scare you. When prepped & cooked properly, okra is slime-free and delicious with a slightly nutty flavor. Choose small tender okra. Okra MUST be completely dry before cooking. High heat & patience are your secret weapon. Never overcrowd the skillet (you don’t want to steam it)
- Slice okra into small ½’ pieces. Lay out in a single layer on paper towels and pat dry and salt generously. Okra can handle it. Let it sit out to air dry for 1 hour.
- Heat skillet over high heat. Depending upon the size skillet you use, you’ll lightly fry the okra in 2-3 small batches using the ¼ cup avocado oil divided 2-3 times. Lightly fry okra in small batches until golden brown. Do NOT overcrowd the skillet. This is crucial. Wipe the skillet with a paper towel between batches. Set okra aside spread out in a single layer on clean paper towels.
- Turn the heat down on skillet to medium, medium-high. Heat 2 Tbsp oil & saute’ the onions for about 10 mins.
- Add the garlic & ginger and saute’ for additional 30 seconds being careful not to burn/scorch the garlic. Add diced tomatoes and cook another 3 mins until tomatoes begin to soften. Add 1 tsp salt, cumin seeds, coriander, turmeric root & red chili powder and mix thoroughly. Add fried okra & fresno chili into skillet and saute’ another 2 minutes.
- Lower the heat to simmer & let okra mixture simmer a few more minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and garnish with cilantro & lemon juice. Serve w/ Naan bread or over rice.