Tom Yum Soup (Vegan)
1 stalk lemon grass (optional) – cut in half the halved lengthwise, tied together w/ kitchen string
½ medium sweet onion – sliced thin
½ Tbsp fresh grated ginger
2 Fresno Red Chilis – seeded & minced
1 ½ cups – shiitake mushrooms – sliced thin
4 garlic cloves – minced
3 Tbsp green curry paste
6 cups of vegetable broth
½ cup light coconut milk
2 medium limes – peeled & juiced
1 15oz can fired-roasted diced tomatoes (drained)
1 ½-2 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce/tamari
1-2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 large opo squash – spiralized
- In a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat, heat coconut oil
- Add lemongrass (optional) & onion. Saute’ 5 mins. until onions are soft/translucent stirring occasionally.
- Add ginger, chili peppers, mushrooms, garlic & curry paste. Saute’ 5 mins. Stirring occasionally.
- Add vegetable broth, coconut milk, 3 slice of lime peel, drained tomatoes, soy/tamari & maple syrup. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and simmer an additional 15 mins.
- Add lime juice, stir, continue to simmer for a few minutes, adjust seasoning to taste. Remove lime peels & lemongrass.
- Serve over spiralized opo squash (squoodles) – heat from soup will “cook” squoodles.